Sunday, September 4, 2011

What I Hate About Being Unemployed


Always worrying about not having enough money to pay rent and bills.
Not having health insurance.
Filling out job applications and sending out resumes that seem to disappear into a bottomless black hole.
Having to borrow money from my mother.
Having to borrow money from my son.
Trying to keep up my self-esteem and convince myself that it is not my fault that I lost my job.
Trying to keep up my self-esteem and convince myself that it is not my fault that I haven't found a new job yet.
Having to explain to bill collectors and utility companies that I can't pay them now because I'm unemployed.
Listening to politicians pretend that they understand or care about what the jobless are going through.
Almost never having more that a quarter tank of gas in the car.
Reading the news when every day there is another story about how crappy the economy is, and how high the unemployment rate is, and how it's not going to get better any time soon.
The red tape that I have to deal with for unemployment benefits and assistance programs.
Feeling guilty when I even think about doing anything that is fun, or that costs a few dollars.
The tape that holds my broken glasses together, and wondering how that will look when I actually do get a job interview.


No comments:

Post a Comment